The library on the fourth Floor platform was started with a gift from the Gerrit Rietveld Academy in 2004, of 1721 art monographs. They are marked in the catalogue of the Academy, so students are able to trace titles and come here to read them. Since this opening gift, the library has tripled in dimension thanks to gifts from private and institutional collections, of fiction, reference books and catalogues. The Dutch Foundation for Literature donated Dutch literature in foreign translations.
Artist Suchan Kinochita designed the bookcases; units which can easily be stacked or moved in any order that is required. Graphic designer Viktor Wiertz hand painted wooden slates for the alphabetical ordering of the books.
The library is decorated with classical furniture. It is open for guests and visitors alike, who are welcome to enjoy the books in the library itself or take them up to their rooms.
The Cultural Embassy organises book readings, exhibitions and lectures based on the collection.